Search This Blog


About Me

My photo
The primary mission of this website is to showcase my cake creations and cupcake designs. Make sure to follow us on facebook....search "Couture Cakes by Angela" and like our facebook page and don't forget to view the photo galleries!!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Festive Dragon for Sadie









All children are special, but this little girl holds a special place in my heart.  I have had the pleasure of knowing an extraordinary family who extended their hearts and home to adopt a beautiful little girl from China named Sadie.  I first met Sadie when she was two years old and called me by Mrs. Lemon because Mrs. Letterman was a mouthful!!  A precious memory I treasure!  When I was asked to make a cake for this special young lady I could not have been more thrilled!  I was told above anything, Sadie loved Dragons!  My mind went wild because I too, LOVE dragons!  I wanted to create something magical but also something reminiscent of her heritage.  It had to incorporate her favorite colors, teal and purple but also pretty pink cherry blossoms for a sweet little girl.  

The dragon was inspired by the dragon parades in China, with the colorful, and extremely ornamental face to the long, lean body covered in teal scales and gold accents.  The top tier of this cake was decorated with four Chinese characters representing Happiness, Good Fortune, Love, and Longevity.  The crown jewels that top this one-of-a-kind creation is a cluster of delicate cherry blossoms and three golden reeds of bamboo.  In Chinese culture the dragon represents power, strength, and good luck.  The dragon encircles the cake as if he is protecting this cake and this special little girl with all the power and strength that these magical creatures possess.  This cake was a labor of love and one I would do again in a heart-beat for such an amazing family!  Happy 7th Birthday Sadie! 

I would like to include an extra special thank you to my mother who hand rolled and cut each scale for this amazing dragon cake.  If it were not for your help this cake would not have been as beautiful!!  THANKS MOM!


    "Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still."

                                                                    ~ Chinese Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recommended Reads

Followers